Tuesday, July 28, 2009

{bamboo...}


There is something about bamboo that I find completely magical. Many of my favourite hotels are hidden behind walls of this woody grass and the best walks in Kyoto (my favourite city in the world) are along these forested floors.


C and I were surprised to find this fastest-growing plant on earth in our Toronto backyard and have been researching all kinds of ways to create with it. I’ve been discovering amazing paper designs like those by Smock, a gracefully-green letterpress print shop in New York. I am wildly in love with their creations.

C has been up until the wee hours of the night inventing ways to use bamboo in our house and best of all, how to use it to build a bike. Calfee Design has this figured out and is behind the awesome Bamboo Bike Project in Ghana, helping locals to build their own means of transportation.

The possibilities are truly endless. What are you making with bamboo?

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! I love Kyoto too and have been to that gorgeous place in Arashiyama in your first pic.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin